Wednesday 25 February 2015

Of Youth and Booze

Today I made some time to have a bit of Chinese New Year visitation with some of my current students. What I witnessed and what I heard about what they did bugged me quite a bit as it kind of gave me a glimpse of the kids in this generation which made me feel quite uncomfortable.

Lately I noticed that there's such a curiosity concerning alcohol. I will admit, I was curious too. I am still curious as to how much alcohol I can take. Just yesterday me and two other friends just finished our bottle of tequila at my house and none of us were drunk. The guy had two or three shots, the other friend had about four to five. I think I had six or seven and I am still walking straight. I just feel a tad bit sleepy but that was like nearly midnight already so it wasn't a biggie.

During Chinese New Year, a few of the houses I visited served alcohol to whoever who wants to take it. People just cheered and get excited. But everyone drank responsibly, knowing their limits and stopping when they know they are getting to their borderline. I had my share of Matell and red wine and white wine. The percentage of alcohol isn't much, like around 10% to 15%. The tequila we had was 38% and it's good DonJuan tequila. (I didn't know it was good stuff until I began searching up on it.) And some of them said I can take alcohol. I'll say that my body knows how to take it and deal with it because within a minute of taking in alcohol, I'll be heading to the toilet and I'll be craving for snacks which are ways of preventing drunkenness. *shrugs* I dunno.

So the people that I've been with to drink, they've drunk responsibly, knowing their limits and stopping when they know they are entering into the area of getting tipsy and not once did I see them get drunk or being silly and all. But the student that I am very comfortable to talk to told me that when they were visiting yesterday, someone got tipsy and that person still insists on drinking more.

I don't like it when people boasts about how much they can drink. It just shows how immature they are because every person is different. I can drink a lot, my aunt can't even take Shandy, so what's the big deal? When the kids do that, it became a challenge to see who can drink more which leads to stupid decisions and some people getting drunk. I didn't like the comment one of them made today - that with me around they can't do what they want, which for me translates that they want to do anything without any accountability nor any responsibility. And seeing how they behave when they came to my house and then to another's house, it just shows how immature they are and I don't quite like it. Call me a future strict parent or whatever, I will never allow my children to go out if they are to behave stupidly and irresponsibly. And another person saying that if there is no booze then the person will not join us? That is just pure crap. That person doesn't even want our company, only want booze.

I don't quite know what's with the generation nowadays and what their parents are teaching. Fearless, irresponsible and rebellious. It's not just being naughty. Naughtiness, I can deal with but just being fearless, irresponsible and rebellious? I don't know. Maybe not even the world can teach them a hard lesson for them to turn around.

When will parents do proper parenting? How much can teachers do?

No comments: