Sunday 16 September 2012

Diamonds are a girl's best friend

Just a random title xD Diamonds are for money no where else to spend. And to cut stuff xD

The internet has been a pain. It was so much better before. It is getting on my nerves. Grrr.

So, lately things has been kinda slow. Classes much lesser than the last semester plus this is the first week meaning it has been rather boring. I did remember last year during the first week I was also saying how boring it was until everything got into their full momentum and I was thrown into the river of busyness. So I guess now it is also like that but perhaps not as crazy as last semester.

This weekend is also a pretty darn long one. Monday is a public holiday. I don't have classes on Friday and Tuesday. So it makes a 5 day long break. Pretty crazy break I think because the semester just barely begun and we have such a long break. Majority of my course mates went home. I don't have things to shop for nor have much idea which part of Selangor or KL I want to explore so I don't have much plans. Which is sad. Perhaps I should find some people and just go to Ikea on Monday or Tuesday. At least tomorrow I have an agenda. With nothing to buy and no urge to waste money, malls are quite unattractive to me >< Especially after reading that book about dealing with money.

The book is not about money management but really of wise usage of money. Some sort of money management but to really use money wisely instead of just spending and spending on things that are not beneficial nor multiply in value nor amount. It did got me seriously thinking and put the reigns back in my spending. It also made me question my concept of poverty and wealth.

How does the poverty mindset work? How does the abundance mindset work? How does the person with the poverty mindset use money? How does the person with the abundance mindset use money?

From my previous church, I was taught that we tithe the 10% and set aside an amount for offering, quite a large one in fact especially when "sowing" into the church in the form of building funds, pledges for abundance and some "over and above" fund. The rest is for ourselves to spend and we are not to live in poverty, meaning spend as little as we can, eating and buying the cheapest of things and not enjoying the lavish things like going to Starbucks, buying expensive clothes and so on. While I was there, I did participate in all that. I did what they did but I had little or none left for savings and never set aside an amount for investing. So in the end I basically used up everything.

From the book, the first principle is to allocate different percentage of the money into 5 categories or jars as they used. The jars are: Tithe, Offering, Savings, Investing, Spending. We adjust and allocate the different percentage of the money according to our ability and lifestyle and stage of life and the other part of it is to never shift the money from one jar to fill another. So let's say I have 10 dollars. Tithe is set as 10% so 1 dollar will be placed in that jar. 10% offering, 10% savings, 20% investing and the rest which is 50% is spending. That is just an example. This book didn't explain like, when to use the savings and how to work out the investing. There's another book by the same author that we are referred to at the end of the book (which is kinda annoying because it made me want to know more but I found out that I don't have the book!!!) Some part of the book, it says that we need to have a vision and work towards that vision. Oh, it's the 2nd principle. With vision, there is provision. So we have an aim in mind like, let's say I want to open a bakery, I need like RM5000. So I calculate how much I can cut down on my spending and how long it takes for me to save up to that amount and start working towards it. So we don't just spending everything and find ourselves penniless at the end of each month, waiting for the next pay to come in. There are other principles which you get when reading the book!

So I am figuring out how to do it, how to apply all that. It made me evaluate how I have been using my money so far. But to limit myself to RM10 per day, so far it has been quite challenging unless I make drastic changes like deliberately eating at the chinese stall everyday because it is much cheaper. But then I will loose the fellowship with my group of friends which consists of a majority of Malays. Sigh. Eating at the mamak especially eating rice like the kari kambing I posted before can easily reach RM6.20 per plate which leaves very little for dinner. I have to forsake my teh tarik then to get RM6.20 >< But yeah, with my diet in mind, a lot of changes to make. Curry contains a much higher amount of fat, so... SAD! >< Sigh!

So, trying to figure out, what can give, what not and taking steps towards it. Can't suddenly change everything. Can't even remember >< But yeah, takes lots of discipline especially in the changing of spending habits >< But once going to malls, the food will hike up easily to reach over RM20 which is wayyyyy over the daily limit. So you see the dilemma I am in >< Perhaps I need to sit down with someone to work it out. I don't want to finish my studies penniless also. Very hard especially when starting off in working life.

Adult worries creeping in? Oh yeah. Not funny nor dream-like anymore. BUT GOD takes care of everything :)

Long enough post sudah. Kakakaka. Until next time ;)

No comments: